View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #40
CC69Rat

Re: 4/6 drop is giving me problems in the front fender rubbing?

Sounds like you have already taken it to the alignment shop -- but. One thing I usually try to do (Keith mentioned 'toed out') that was my first thought too.

Stand facing forward with your feet pointed forward like you'd normally walk. Now point your toes outward.. Imagine that being your front tires. The left (driver) wheel is turning slightly to the left .. and the right (pass) is turning slightly to the right opposing each other. A relatively easy fix for this is to have a buddy lay on one side of the truck and you on the other. Measure the distance between the centerline of your driver front tire to the center line of your pass front tire but do it on the front side (closer to the front bumper) then the back side of the tire (closer to the fender / door edge)

Assuming the later model suspension was installed first, maybe driven a while .. then your drop? IF the truck was aligned at stock height on the later model disc swap then dropped with springs / spindles it will be toed out.

I noticed it the picture of the driver's front wheel it looks like it's turned slightly to the left. When you say the tires are rubbing the fenders is it more on the front edges of the fender lip? Ideally we want the tires to be facing forward, in no way opposing each other. .. and until you get this measured and close I'd be careful about driving it too much. It will chew your tires up pretty bad.

I hope I'm explaining it correctly. But I agree with Keith on the toe issues. The last one I dropped with 2.5 spindles and 2" springs was toed out so bad it wouldn't even roll forward in the garage without the front tires squaling as I pushed it (rubber tires, cement garage floor = sound.. ) you know what I mean. that 'front of the front tire' and 'back of the front tire' measurement will get you close. I used to do it a lot with lifted Jeeps too.

I'm just thinking the tires are turned a bit out in the front causing the rubbing to be worse. 255 tires will help too.

The wheel width may be OK. Just my opinion. 20x8 w/4.5" BS vs. what others run with 20x8.5 w/5.25" BS We're only talking .25" difference but that 275 tire up front might be too much. 255 = 10.03" wide. 275 = 10.82" wide.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote