View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #111
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

Re: 1972 4x4 Short Bed Project "Seven-Deuce"

Made some good progress in the past couple days.

The stereo is finished, here is a list of all the components I used.

1 RetroSound 'Zuma' Classic style Radio
1 pair Alpine SPS-410 4" speakers for the center dash.
1 pair Focal 165A1 6.5" component speakers for the cab corners
1 Kicker Solo-Baric L3 10" Subwoofer
1 Kicker ZX700.5 5 Channel Amplifier 700 Watts RMS
1 Soundstream 4AWG Amplifier install Kit
1 Pair of 6x9 cab corner brackets (from the parts board)
1 Pair of 6x9 to 6.5" round speaker hole adapters
(I Planned on using 6x9 speakers, then changed)
1 Sheet 4'x8'x3/4" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
1 Roll of Gray carpet I had laying around from an old project.

Step 1: remove seat.

Here is the subwoofer box I built. It was very hard to design this to fit behind the seat, as well as give enough mounting depth for the woofer. There is very limited room behind the seat and the sub requires about 6" of depth. And a third concern is that the sub requires 0.9 cubic feet of space in the box to function most effectively. It ended up being 22" across the front and 17" tall. The depth is 8" at the bottom and 4" at the top. MDF is the best material for subwoofer boxes and always be sure to caulk everything to create an airtight seal.

It fits right underneath the old fuel tank bolt holes, and i added a piece of wood where the back of the cab meets the floor. This went under the carpet to give a level surface for the box to sit on.

Next, I cut a piece to mount the amplifier and crossover boxes. These get power from the amp and send it to the 6.5" components and tweeters. The tweeters went right at the shoulder belt hole and the wire dropped right down though... perfect. I covered it with carpet and made 2 brackets to utilize the gas tank mounts. I ran the 4ga wire under the carpet and out the firewall under the heater box, and right up to the battery. Ground cable got bolted to the floor about 1' from the amp.

After all that, it was done! Only have about 25 hours into that.... lol It sounds great though. I was very worried about the seat not being able to go all the way back. Put it in and voila!, it can go back all the way to the 2nd to last click on the track before hitting the box. I'm about 5'-8" so thats perfect for me, but i did slide the column forward a little to make the steering wheel feel a little more comfortable.

Heres a crappy iPhone video of it playing. Who doesn't love a little Jane??

'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax

Last edited by yfs200p; 02-25-2014 at 05:23 PM.
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote