View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #735
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I have an Amazon prime membership as well, bought a complete ACDelco clutch kit for my 400/sm465 from them, the HD one that is one step below the ceramic disc kit. It was about $106 and shipped to me in 2 days, Rock Auto couldn't even come close.
Now that's a good post. I can foresee myself buying a clutch kit for this truck in the near future.

Today I turned the truck around and began swapping the rear ends.

First, this truck has a load sensing valve that modulates the rear brake pressure. It uses a lever and sensor that detects how high or low the rearend is in relation to normal ride height. That, then guesses at how much load is on the truck. If it's sitting lower than usual, it applies the rear brakes stronger than normal unloaded height. Since I lowered the truck, this stuff is all out the window. I've seen poor reliability on these anyway, so I'm going to remove it in its entirety and run normal unrestricted rear brakes. More to come later in the project.

Valve mounted on the frame. Brake line in and brake line out. The swing lever controls its operation.

The lower end of the lever is mounted to the top of the rearend.

A few nuts and bolts later, we have this. I sprung for a pair of Harbor Freight mover dollies to help me move this heavy thing around.

I'm also going to remove that upper overload spring and little spacer block. It won't affect the ride height any, but the truck being lowered, that leaf is too close to hitting the overload brackets on the frame.

When I get off work Monday morning I'll drop by the spring shop and have a couple of pairs of new, shorter, u bolts made up. I need shorter u bolts to compensate for removal of the overload and spacer blocks.

I'll also get a shorter pair of spring pack center bolts. When I disassemble the pack to remove the overload and spacer, I'll need shorter center bolts.

And, for the folks who haven't followed this thread every page, a reminder of what I'm putting back in.