View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #742
83GMCK2500

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The idler arm deal above is off of my old 2wd 89 model truck, but I will probably do a build thread on the 4x4 too. Right now I'm just walking around it periodically to begin to take stock of where I stand and what I'll need to do. That way I have it in my head if I stumble across a deal on some parts that I might need for the truck.

But, first I will finish this truck. I can't do good work and stay focused on two trucks at the same time. I've been thinking about whether I want to pull the transmission and go through it and the clutch or just run it for now and maybe do an NV4500 swap in the future. Even with the 4.10 gear I'm installing, an OD would be welcomed. I'm still mulling it over.
I am tracking. My '83 has been in the family since new and between this forum, a couple others, and my friends I have a good idea on the direction I want to head with it, has helped me in keeping my eyes open for parts/deals as well.

Hah, I should have caught that when you said '89, I knew the 4x4 is newer.

A 4500 swap is a beautiful thing, I have one in the works myself. After a lot of research I chose an early one with external clutch slave cylinder. The later design with the fully synchronized 1st & Reverse was appealing, but I am not sold on the internal slave/throwout bearing assemblys used in them.

How have you decided to address the routing of the parking brake cables on Hillbilly Deluxe? Did you have or will you be keeping the factory rear swaybar? I ask because with the purchase of new ubolts, this is an ideal time to ditch that saddle-under-axle tube style plate that GM used. I am not a fan of how they collect dirt/debris and accelerate the deterioration of the bolts, but I recognize they are necessary with the factory style swaybar mount. With the disassembly of the rear springs will you be coating and installing new pads between them?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote