View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #1579
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
It's easier to get a high quality finish with base clear. Single stage will never give the depth of shine either. Most single stages just don't shine as good even when color sanded and polished. I have been using ppg base coat ands DuPont Imron clear for my bed and will use ppg clear for the exterior.

I used single stage urethane, and acrylic enamels for years and there is no comparison in the shine and finish of the bc/cc. Even with a shadetree body guy like myself.

As far as cost, it's very expensive for all the materials. The paint is high, but so is sandpaper, epoxy primer, high build primer, tape, reducer, thinner, filler and whatever else I forgot. I have close to $4k in materials, prep and painting supplies. That is including everything spent on the finish of my truck inside and out. But if you spread it out over a few years it doesn't hurt as bad. If you keep track of everything dollar spent you might be surprised how fast it adds up.

Don't cheap out on your ppe either you only get one pair of lungs
4k in materials I know all the sandpaper and tape and misc prep materials cost money, I already have a lot invested but I don't have the budget leftover for that kind of money for paint supplies and everything else I need to get it on the road. I guess I was being a little ignorant to the actual paint cost. Looks like I'll be rocking primer for a while until I can afford it

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote