View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #8666
RustyBucket

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Last Saturday I spent a long fun day with my '71 GMC... car show up in Daytona from 7 to 1 then to WING HOUSE for lunch. Like Hooters but WAY shorter shorts. Then I spent from 3 to 9pm inside Daytona Speedway watchin' about 50 cars practice and test for the upcoming ROLEX 24. Put 100++mi. on the truck and got some nice compliments on it. Great, BUT, I listened to lifter noise all day and it got worse as the day went on. Drove it home on I-95 about 75mph, figured GO or BLOW. Less lifter "CLOP-CLOP" noise when I got home. Yesterday I pulled the dr. side valve cover off and found #3 rocker crossways off the valve stem and a bent pushrod. Recently I replaced cheezy roller rockers with new set of stock Sealed Power stamped rockers, pushrods too. Zeroed the lifters very carefully running and still didn't like the way it sounded. Original 350, unknown rebuild by PO, 487 heads, screw in studs,Milodon guide plates, Performer RPM, 650 Holley. Runs cool, good oil pressure, doesn't sound like much cam, runs on regular. I don't know if it's eating the cam or maybe the guide plates are binding on the pushrods. Bought 1 pushrod and vale cover gaskets last night. Gonna take the guide plates out and put it back together today. I don't mind changing an engine out but I'd rather do it 'cause I wanted to than HAD to.
Attached Images

Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!