Thread: Russ the 79 c10
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #21
79GMCSierra

Re: Russ the 79 c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_the_truck79 View Post
a carb swap to the newer one may be difficult because it has an automatic choke and you'll have to create linkage for it because for some reason on the non integrated version the carb is rotated 90 degrees and instead of turning it they added a bunch of complex linkage i don't know why but they did. but its defidently not impossible there are a few threads on here showing you how to make the linkage. im probably going to use a small 4 bbl (500-550ish) and block off one of the barrels to regain a little of fuel economy. either way you have to make up the linkage but with the 4 or 2 bbl you can just use an adapter plate so itd be a little easier just my 2 cents
Great info! I've priced out the parts for a bone stock rebuild and guessing on the machining work, crank, block and head, and it's looking like around $2k. So with that in mind I may consider a V8/auto swap. I bought the truck because it has a I6 and 3OTT just like the '66 I had in the 70's. I ported the cylinder head and it pulled like a freight train with all stock components, so I was thinking of doing the same to this one until I discovered the intergrated head. I called the machine shop a few days ago to inquire about finding a non-intergrated head and the first thing he said was "Oh the intergrated head was a BIG mistake, I'm not surprised it's cracked! I can probably repair it but sometimes they crack way up into the head" Nice to know! The sooner I can dump the intergrated head the better. Changing out the parts shouldn't be a problem for me.

Last edited by 79GMCSierra; 01-12-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
79GMCSierra is offline   Reply With Quote