View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Re: Cleaning gas tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downlow2xfo View Post
Solid tank just gummed up gas and trash that I can't reach.
A radiator shop can boil the tank for you to get it clean.
Several vendors sell kits clean and then seal the tank.. They use chemicals to remove varnish and rust (but you must go and buy the Muriatic Acid - which is very caustic). Finally, a sealant coats the inside and then you don't have to worry about rust again. I used the Eastwood Products Kit . POR-15 sells a kit too.
Rolling gravel around method works, or BBs, or chains, or whatever will get into corners and scrape the metal. Either way, you are probably going to want to use a kit to seal the inside.

If you have the time and the tank is solid, then use the kit and about 10 hours of work. Otherwise get a new tank or have a radiator shop boil it clean. My tank was not too bad so I cleaned out the varnish with boiling hot water, rinsed it out and then swirled Muriatic Acid around until the rust was gone and rinsed it again several times. I used a leaf blower to air dry it and it looked pretty good, but what I started with had minimal rust and varnish.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote