View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 AM   #17
Low68

Re: Avoid the Concrete

Yesterday and today I have been slowly stripping parts off the frame. I had forgotten how annoying the crusty old bolts can be to get off. Most of the bolts I end up just cutting off.

I am going to be getting the frame media blasted to clean it up. I am planning on removing all of the factory cross-members prior to stripping. I am planning on building tubular cross-members and don't want to have to clean up where the factory cross-members were attached, so I am taking off as much of that as I can before media blasting.I started removing the cab mounts and got one side done. I will be working on getting the other side off tomorrow.

The frame I bought was really cheap because it was bent up on the passenger side frame rail under the cab. I cleaned up a small area and heated it up with a torch to see if I could straighten it out. It seemed like it would come out alright, so I will continue stripping down the frame, get it blasted, and then finish straightening the rest of the frame. I forgot the get a before picture, but the area on the right of the photo below had a dent up in the bottom of the frame rail where you can see the discoloration. It is still not quite flat, but shouldn't take too much work to get it flat.
Low68 is offline   Reply With Quote