View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
OrrieG

Re: First try doing Bodywork!

Most of the area under the window will be concealed by the bed. It looks like you will need a shrinking disc too. Start at the bottom where it will not be so visible and work your way up as you get more skilled. Find some videos on youtube that show basic hammer and dolly work and shrinking. Like alaska said, get it on the frame to square it up and make sure the doors are close before moving too much metal. Also take care with the back window opening to make sure you do not move it out of alignment. The back of mine looked like that from years of use as a working truck with lots of rocks, bricks and fire wood bounced off the back cab and roof. Took lots of time but ended up with just a light skim coat of mud.

And if for some reason it turns out the metal is too thin, has lost its temper, or ?? you can get a replacement piece and will have gained the experience. Also, buy good tools not the cheap harbor freight ones. Good body tools are a dream to use, well balanced quality materials. Bad will cause more problems than cures. I bought a couple of good hammers in 1972 and they are still like new, over the years I picked up dollies, etc at estate and yard sales from old timers that had retired.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote