Thread: 400/406 Builds
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 AM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: 400/406 Builds

Yep, that Performer cam is a bit small for a 400. A stock mid 70's 400 will have low compression, poor flowing heads and a small cam, so they aren't going to rev very high. Now you can take your basic short block and add some smaller chamber heads to bump the compression and a bigger cam, and that 400 will be a totally different animal. Something similar to the one I posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I just freshened up a stock 400 two years ago. It was the first Chevy engine I ever took apart with the original plastic still intact on the timing gears. I just did the cheapie rebuild with new bearings, oil pump, timing chain and gears and new cam and lifters. It runs fine but runs out of steam at an early rpm. I plan to buy a tach for it this year. I am convinced that this Edelbrock performer cam is just too small for a 400. It should be better than the stock cam you would think. When I measured the stock cam, the lobes were almost exactly the same height as my new cam. I was very surprised not to find any bad lobes on that stock cam too. Moral of the story: don't get too conservative on camshaft selection in a 400 sbc.

I may be just too used to winding out 350's that I notice the 400 shutting down early. That's why I am getting a tach, so I will know for sure what is going on.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote