View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #152
sparkydog

Re: Porsche 944: Actually there is a substitute

Wow 1Bad that is a nice pickup! The first thing I ever tried to work on was a '36 Dodge PU when I was 18 or so.

The Mustang struts have a lower bracket that attaches to the spindle. The bracket can be cut loose (I think) and the tube slid lower. It looks like that would give me about 2 of the 3.3 inches I am looking for. And I hope that with a little more effort on my part I can find a supplier of a shock cartridge series but shorter so that I can put together a combination of 1-2" shorter shock plus slid lower in the bracket.

I have some coil-overs off the front of something that def have a shorter shock but their lower bracket is not the same as the Mustang. So another possibility is to harvest their shocks, ditch the coils and swap over the Mustang upper and lower mount hardware.

Someone also suggested I think about just using the shocks off the Porsche struts but adapted to the Mustang spindle. This would also work. Ultimately I am keeping my eye on what will the replacement cost for new shocks be when the time comes that whatever I use wears out. I'm trying to avoid paying for "exotic" (real or imagined) Porsche spare parts prices.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote