View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
C10 - C90 Bill

Re: 1972 GMC 637 V-8 video

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
Funny how it almost sounds exactly like the 305 V6 I had, or maybe they both have the same exhaust leak? The one pic of the rear of that 637 shows the same block/piston angle as the V6.
Those engines are like a V-6 with 2 extra "cylinders" welded on, but even though look very much alike, they are actually two very different engines. The V-6, especially the big 478, is a "Lugger" that has a ton of Torque. The 637 V-8 is a "Revver" and is more like a Detroit. I'm far from an expert on the internals, but someone once explained to me how different they are on the inside.

They also actually sound very different from each other. It is hard to tell by an idle though.

But the 478 V-6, like most V-6's, would also have less restrictive mufflers from the factory and as recommended replacements, where the 637 had more restrictive mufflers. Once the 637 I drove burnt out the originals, we all we waiting to hear what it sounded like with less restrictive ones, but the mechanic put on the recommended replacements which were like the originals.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote