Thread: 87' 4x4
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #141
rs74

Re: 87' 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
I started working on getting the Vintage Air installed. I got the holes drilled in the firewall and the firewall cover installed.

I also got the unit bolted under the dash. This was a major PITA to get in there by myself. I could have used another set of hands on the other side of the firewall. I almost gave up and called a friend to come over and help, but I finally got it in.

While I have the dash apart I am mounting some speakers. These Pioneers were not a direct fit, but with some minor modifications to the brackets I got them in there.

I will keep plugging away on the AC. I flirted with the idea of having it installed, but the quote I got to install it was outrageous. So instead of paying to have it installed I bought an AC hose crimping tool, some gauges and a vacuum pump. It's always nice to have more tools!
If you don't mind me asking, how much did this A/C system cost. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Did it affect the glove box door any? I have heard that it cuts down on the amount of room for the glove box. What are your thoughts on the install and the system itself. Anything you didn't care for? Does it take up alot of room. Not sure if I would go with the block off kit for the firewall like you have or weld it all up smooth. I would be interested in which system you got and your thoughts on it. Thanks.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote