Thread: 87' 4x4
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 02:38 AM   #143
Greenlee

Re: 87' 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how much did this A/C system cost. I am thinking about doing the same thing. Did it affect the glove box door any? I have heard that it cuts down on the amount of room for the glove box. What are your thoughts on the install and the system itself. Anything you didn't care for? Does it take up alot of room. Not sure if I would go with the block off kit for the firewall like you have or weld it all up smooth. I would be interested in which system you got and your thoughts on it. Thanks.
It's the Vintage Air Sure Fit kit. I shopped around a little bit and it seemed to be about the same price no matter where you buy it (a little less than $1,300). I ended up buying directly from Vintage Air. I had to buy additional brackets for the compressor because I am running a serpentine belt set up.

The glove box is a little smaller now. They provide you with a piece of plastic and clips to modify the glove box. Other than taking up some of the space of the glove box it doesn't seem any larger under the dash than the stock system. The control panel actually takes up less room than the stock control panel. Also there is quite a bit more room under the hood.

I took my time on the install and read the instructions about a dozen times. It took a few days to get it in, but there was nothing that was terribly difficult about it. Now that I have done it once I could probably install it in a weekend.

Overall, I'm real happy with it. On the square body truck I had before this one, I replaced the stock compressor and a bunch of other parts and was never able to get the A/C to blow as cold as I thought it should be. I think the Vintage Air system probably works better than the stock system ever did.

Last edited by Greenlee; 02-02-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote