View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #321
omodified

Re: Omodified's 1970 SWB Custom/10

I brought the tail shaft housing to work today. I used a seal puller to remove the old seal. I read on this site, that a Craftsman 30mm socket would push the old bushing out. If you didn't have a 30mm socket, a 1 1/4 would also work. Let me tell you...a 1 1/4 does not work. I used the press and I got socket stuck in place of the bushing. I managed to press the socket back out the way it came in. Fortunately, I didn't go too far because it gouged the housing wall pretty good. So, I put a piece of aluminum stock in the lathe and turned it down until it was just a fraction bigger than the id of the bushing. This got the bushing out with no problems. I should have done this to begin with. Then, I took emery cloth and smoothed out the area I damaged Then I used my aluminum stock piece to press in the new Timken bushing and seal. No wobbles and everything its tight.

On the way home, I stopped at O'Reilly Auto Parts and bought a new tail shaft housing to transmission case o-ring, new speedometer housing o-ring and seal, new fill tube o-ring and new detent cable seal.

When I got home, I checked the yoke fit in the new bushing and seal and proceeded to install the tail shaft housing. I installed the new o-ring on the tail shaft housing and installed. Finished it by torqueing to 25 foot pounds.

While I was underneath the truck I decided to check the torque on the transmission pan bolts. The assembly manual said to torque to 125 inch pounds. To my surprise, they were all loose in comparison. So, I torqued them all down and called it a night.
Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848

Last edited by omodified; 02-05-2014 at 11:53 AM.
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote