Thread: Ice Cream Truck
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
buckwheat1

Re: Ice Cream Truck

The truck is stock drum all the way around and I swapped in a 250 I6 out of a 67 truck. (Kind of a funny story) my wife found this truck on craigslist in Tennessee so I called they guy and worked out a deal. He told me it wasn't running at the time but it had been when it was parked and probably just needed minor work to get I back on the road. So we drive from Oklahoma to Tennessee about a 10 hour drive or so can't really remember. Long story short the original engine had thrown 2 rods and there were 2 massive holes punched in the block. The brakes were shot and leaking from every wheel cylinder and it looked like it had about two gallons of bondo slapped on it.. Needles to say I was a little upset. We had driven so far to get it couldn't turn back now. We made the deal are glade we did now....

The truck took 2 months to build out engine swap and all. I got the engine on cl for $100 with a leaking head gaskets. Turned out the rear head bolt had broken off so I replaced it and and it was good to go. The engine has been running ok for the most part but I never could get it to idle smooth and it has some drivability issues. Stalls at stop lights some times slow to accelerate but not all the time. Rebuilt the carb replaced the plugs cap and rotor new fuel pump and filter nothing really improved it much.... My uncle thought it might be the distributor moving in the hole so I am trying a new hei to see if that helps. Couldn't hurt right?
buckwheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote