View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #36
slowcpe

Re: '67 Stepper "Laymond"

Had a pretty good weekend. Spent Friday night out in the garage, Saturday morning I went to an auction, and then the rest of the day/evening out in the garage.

The auction was pretty cool. It was held by a widow whose late husband had passed. He had a one-man garage that opened in 1936. A lot of neat stuff including a 1970 lwb c10 with 44k orig. miles. The downside is it brought in every American Picker watcher within a 100 mile radius. Everything I wanted couldn't be touched within twice what its real value should have been. I walked out with nothing but had a good time. The truck sold for $5k with only one bidder. About the best deal of the day I saw.

The weather Saturday was nice enough to where I could keep the garage at a nice 70-75 degrees without running the heaters constantly so I decided to get some painting done. Painted the dash, finished the glovebox, started on my engine pieces, and dyed my seat.

Painted the dash. Went to the local paint supply place and they mixed some 514 Red in a spray can. Turned out pretty good.

I'm actually quite proud of the seat. I traded for the bench last October and other than being dirty and maroon, it was quite nice. I didn't like it in the truck so I decided it needed to be black. Purchased some SEM Landau Black and Vinyl Prep. Scrubbed the seat down with a brush and Simple Green, applied the Prep, washed with water and sprayed the dye. I used two cans of dye but really need about a half a can to finish it off. Will go get another can tomorrow. My only complaint is the cans have a tendency to splatter. I compensated by painting a bout a foot past both sides of the bottom seat and constantly wiping the tip off. If I had it to do all over I would have hung the bottom seat. Overall I think it turned out great and hopefully it will last. It is only temporary until I get my other seat redone in houndstooth.

Getting close to tying up all the odds and ends and then its suspension time!

On with the pics:

Dash before

Dash after

Seat progression

I applied another coat after this pic but didn't take a pic.

Parts awaiting installation
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote