View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
Grizz1963

"Star Brand" Replica Retro Fuel Pump Build.

If you guys are interested, I will continue to post up.. Let me know.

I have wanted to build a retro style fuel pump for my drive outside the garage for some time, as I cannot justify paying the prices charged for "patina'd" pumps.

I started a few threads on various forums as I was hoping to get a plain white globe to fit on top, but it has become obvious that they do not come cheaply, so I am onto plan "B" now, which will not include a glob on top.
http://www.retrorides.proboards.com/...ss-light-shade

£950.00 for this is fine if you have loads of disposable cash and little distinction of value.

Seen last weekend at the NSRA Swapmeet.

This one was already sold at £950.00

Bought this at the NSRA Swapmeet for £5.00 a Bargain, and once distressed and stripped of modern plastics, it should look the part.

Paid about £42.00 including postage for this one on Evilbay, waaaay too much, but what they go for sometimes.

Still need to decide which one to use, or if I want to make a double sided pump with two nozzles.

Nicola's brother works in Suriname most of the time, managing a fleet of dredgers and tugs that work on the rivers.
When he heard I wanted to find some hose for the nozzles, he offered me a whole new, unused fire hose reel.
The next morning Nicola who did not know they were coming, called me in a panic, he had dropped off two, one of which has since found a new home.
I will be using some of the red hose, which will dictate at least in part my colour schemes.

Bought a complete vintage petrol pump face sticker off Evilbay, about £6.00
It will be made to fit inside some perspex, hopefully taken from an old caravan window.

About 6 months ago Nicola had a clearout at the funeral home she works at, but this broken locker did not make it into the skip.
So about 5 weeks ago I went down to fetch it in the Chevy, loving to make the truck work.

Last year Mickey had to remove a display unit from a Tony & Guy hairdressing boutique and dump it, but before he did, I removed the white steel sides which had a nice curve on them and were of seriously thick steel as they were structural. At the time I had no specific purpose for the pieces, but knew it was only time......

Today I started to prep the steel and the locker.

Using a 1mm cutting disc, I removed the 90' lip on all of the sections from the hair salon.

Then I cut them to size as I want my repro pump to be 5 foot tall. The plan is to use these sections to make the front face of the pump rounded with a raised section for the clock face etc.

Lastly, I butt welded the plates together, leaving the front face unwelded, a minimal skim of filler will sort the joins in the end.

Next up, I need to make up a complete front frame, fill in the open space and cut the cabinet down by about 6 inches, not much I know, but it will be right then.
I also need to weld in a bit of strengthening to the cut down door.
Once made up, I need to find a small vertical compressor to fit inside so that I have a compressor on the drive.

Done for today..... two 5 foot sides and a 3 foot length that needs to be cut in half to make a top and bottom section.

I am also going to look for bits of old car or refrigerator/cooker trim to use on the front and sides of the pump to embellish it a bit, giving it a bit of an Art Deco feel.

I will leave you with this, a metal star we bought after Christmas 2012 in the sales.... I knew it would come in useful some time.
Now it will form part of my non existent "Star Brand" fuel logo.

Any ideas and advice welcome.

Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote