View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Hawghauler

Re: Removing front springs on 1968 Chevy C10 with drums

I would jack up the truck, support it, then remove front wheel. Remove the bottom of the shock from it's mount. Loosen the castle nut but don't remove. Run it up to the top of the threads. Leave the nut on with just enough threads to leave the top of the stud level with the bottom of the pin grooves. With suspension hanging and the nut loosened, Smack the spindle where the ball joint goes through and the spring will push it down. The castle nut will stop it from going too far. With a jack lift the lower control arm until the castle nut rises from the spindle, then remove the castle nut. Slowly lower the control arm until the ball joint clears the spindle. Once this point is reached the spindle will be able to swing out enough that the control arm will easily clear the drum. Carefully lower it more until the spring is free'd up. Remove the original spring and replace. I find that if you have an old inner tube, cut a piece big enough to insulate the spring from the top and the bottom where they make contact with the control arms. This will stop any squeaking of the springs while in motion. Install the new spring. If the ball joints are good, reassemble. Then you will have to get an alignment as stated above.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote