View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
SS Tim

Re: Mostly stock vs. significant mods; Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
Here is the SPID and what I have assumed is the original Purchase Order. I don't know why the mirrors "AAT" section is circled, or by whom it was circled as the SPID lists no mirror option.

Also - you are correct about the avatar looking incorrect. That is the truck. It has the optioned side moldings, but my dad has it repainted in the mid-80's and opted to add two-tone (which it did not have). The mirrors are also after-market, as this should have the tiny circle mirrors I believe.
The sheet is what is termed a "build sheet" by most people used by the factory to build your truck to order.
The mirrors are red circled as an inspection confirmation no more. You are correct the truck by not listing an option defaults to the short arm mirrors with the round head.

As I suspected might be the case the truck would be considered plain by many in its stock presentation. The 505 is a very industrial dark green non-metallic color. It was very popular on work trucks for a very long time.
However you have a couple of options that really work well with it. The chrome bumper, hubcaps and both bodyside moldings (black stripe lower) add a lot of flash and tie into the grill. Inside the truck is far from dark. The Z62 package was a mid-level trim that added chrome and flash too. The basic metal is the same 505 Dark Green as outside. Green padded door panels and dash pad add contrast but not much. The seat is a cloth and vinyl combination of three colors that looks great. Unfortunately it is not reproduced but the materials are available. While I could write more just going to this link will clear most things up for you on the interior.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6526874
A final note on the interior, carpet was an option available with the Z62 trim. So if wanted carpet could be used in place of a very hard to find green rubber floor mat, quieter too.

As far as adding a two-tone, the style on it is not correct in two ways. The Deluxe Two-Tone white side stripes were not offered until 71. The roof as painted mimics the earlier 67 style. To be correct the roof white would extend down to the body around all the glass including the windshield and doors.
If you wished to add two-tone paint a roof alone is the simplest and most common as well as being correct. A lesser seen option on pickups was the Special Two-Tone that included a white roof and the lower body (below the moldings) in white. This again would add a lot of correct but not original color to your truck project. Myself I'd go either solid green or the deluxe.

Adding front dics brakes is again a great idea but rears are not needed.
While it is easy to go wild on a driveline, a mild warrantied crate engine and a 700R4 overdrive automatic from Bowtie Overdrives is very hard to beat for a driver truck.
From there adding options is going to be a personal preference.
A/C should probably be at the top of your list to get more pleasure and general spousal approval. Hot trucks (inside) are hard to enjoy. Then this unleashes the question of adding a factory system (modified) or an aftermarket system. As I understand it the aftermarkets do not blend fresh air in and are basically a recirculating system only. Threads to read on that factory vs aftemarket subject aplenty.

As far a wheels, tires and relocating gas tanks go I would stay stock looking to keep the flavor of your truck. Oversize white steel wheels and chrome caps look great with that color IMHO.

Single exhaust was stock but there are advantages to duals as well as a larger bore single pipe.

There was no rear bumper as built and while still legal not really a good idea. A period step bumper is the most correct choice but again you could add the rear chromed bumper if you really had to.

Hope this helps and gives you food for thought. There is probably more I could add and of course specific questions are welcomed. PM for email or even a phone number if you wish.

Good luck on your adventure and remember planning makes it all easier and clearer with your shops. While $35-40K is a lot of money it can easily be more too. Problem is its hard to make a $0.50 return on your invested dollars so choose wisely and try to avoid fads.

Not all the pictures are exactly 505 but used to illustrate the color combinations better.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 03-13-2014 at 10:55 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote