View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Re: Wrecked K5s: a case study

I agree. I was like most people who wondered what's so great with spending days in the middle of nowhere where it's barren and lifeless,for the most part. And,I love the wilderness. But,my wilderness was generally in the forest,on a mountain,near a river or lake...maybe a deserted seashore or swampland. Then I lived in Flagstaff and discovered what I was missing. The openness is what it's all about! And there is plenty of life,you just might have to look harder and it's different life than anywhere else.

I've experienced a light roll over (onto side and slowly) with my top off and my two kids in the back seat in a '71 Blazer (one in baby seat). I feel we were very very lucky. I was young and dumb,had just put it on the road. That woke me right up. It had 7" lift and the first bias Swappers in 37/13-15 and no roll bar! I built a full cage for that thing before I started the damage repair from the accident. I also fitted shoulder belts all around.

My '90 wasn't lifted and was set up to handle better on the street. The same stuff as IRISH1941 mentioned. The 33/12.50 BFG A/Ts on 10" rims gave it a very stable track to wheelbase ratio. That thing felt like a sportscar.

I haven't done much with my '85 Jimmy but lift 4" (incl. sway bar spacers),35/12.50s,and soft top. It feels very stable and steady,but a roll cage is on the list...along with winch/fabbed bumpers/tire carrier,Stan's Headers,Dana60/TruTrac,14bolt/Detroit Locker,and put the dash pad,factory stereo,tilt column,and tach in I already have. In the three years Ive had it I've only had passengers in the rear seat on time. I probably would have removed it by now but that's why I own it. It's my car,I have plenty of trucks with only a front seat

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote