Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #230
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I wouldn't recommend cutting it at this point as there are other options. Since you have a stud welding gun, you already have a perfect tool for shrinking small to medium areas. I use mine with a shrinking tip to pull down crowned areas. I also use a shrinking disc for larger, heavily damaged areas, but from what I see in the photo, the stud gun would be best. Not sure if your gun came with the shrinking tip, but they are available from numerous online sources and probably your local auto refinish supply store.

Start by locating the highest part of the crowned area. You'll need to remove the paint so the gun can do it's job. With the shrinking tip inserted, start at the very center and heat a spot for 1-2 seconds then release the trigger and continue to hold the tip against the metal for several seconds. Move out about an inch and repeat at 3, 6, 9 and 12 o'clock. If needed, move out another inch and repeat in a circular pattern. Some guys lay out a spiral pattern, but I prefer concentric circles. Some guys will tell you to cool the hot spots with a damp rag or compressed air, but the procedure works fine without it.

Like nearly all metal and body work, this can be technique sensitive. It is very easy to over-shrink a high spot. But you can always fix that with some draw pins and filler. High spots have to come down regardless if you want the panel right. Good luck!
Hi Vic Thanks for the reply!

In the pic's the high spot I'm showing is right on the body line and extends both upward and downward with the worst being above the body line, if i do shrink above and below the body line should i attempt to shrink the body line as well? The high spot on the body line is the area I'm having the hardiest time dealing with.

I understand what your getting at with the shrinker and will see about finding a shrinking tip. I was also told a few years back to buy a shrinking disk but never got that far before i got side tracked on this truck due to injury/house remodel. Here's the past history, thanks again Dieselwrencher for letting me invade his thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=426756

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote