Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #231
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
In the pic's the high spot I'm showing is right on the body line and extends both upward and downward with the worst being above the body line, if i do shrink above and below the body line should i attempt to shrink the body line as well? The high spot on the body line is the area I'm having the hardiest time dealing with.
I would save the body line for last. As you smooth out the adjoining areas, the body line will move, so you may not have to do much to it. Above the body line, the inner panel hinders access to the back of the outer skin. That said, there is still some room (up to a point) to use a dolly. When I have access to both sides, I usually try to work the area to the desired shape using a combination of on or off dolly and hammer technique. If the panel still has a stubborn crown, I break out the shrinking tip but use it sparingly. By going back and forth between shrinking and hammer/dolly, you can sneak up on the shape you want. The link you referenced has a very good explanation of hammer and dolly theory. However, in the real world, we don't always have room for some of the techniques in the tutorial.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote