Thread: battery drain?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

battery drain?

i've checked through the search function looking for answers to my problem on this subject...none seem to hit the mark. my problem is a slow battery drain.....usually takes a couple of days to really drain it to the point of not being able to start it. electrical problems really seem to baffle me!! i bought a interstate battery last year (4/02) so it was still in warranty....took it back to the firestone service center i bought it from....they gave me a brand new battery...hooked it up to my volt meter when i got home....reading 14+ volts as the engine was running(initial high rpm's till the carb kicked down) okay, no problem.... the alt. is putting out enuff juice to keep charged....,turned off the ignition, and hooked the voltage meter between the pos. and neg. posts of the battery......it read 12.5v . now that i have a fresh start to work from(good battery,good alternator) what method do i follow to track down the drain? i bought a voltage leak tester (2 alligator clips w/ a wire between them w/ a small barrel looking contraption in the center of the wire...between the clips.also in the kit is a guage of some sort to pin-point the location of the short,......like a oscillating needle kinda thing.) don't exactly know how to work the damn thing though !! can anybody help me here??
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote