View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
pbbelly

Re: '66 Custom Camper workhorse project

Well, I was cruising Craigslist looking for a '73-'87 donor truck for a front end when I stumbled across a bargain on an early NV4500 5 speed. I had plans to eventually put one in it but was going to use an SM465 for now. The SM465 would require a gearing change (different rear end) to get any economy at highway speeds. With this transmission I can avoid that (assuming that I have 4.11 gears rather than 4.56s). I

've read that Custom Campers all had limited slip differentials (another reason I'd like to keep this rearend). I haven't found a No-spin sticker in the cab anywhere and haven't gotten in the shop to jack up a rear wheel yet so I have my fingers crossed...

So, if things go according to plan and this transmission pans out, I won't need an answer to the above crossmember question.

I have been busy stripping parts off of the '70 donor truck and haven't touched the '66 yet aside from assessing which patch panels I will need.

Thanks for the props everyone!