View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #44
Custom 68

Re: Project "Schrum" 1959 Gmc 100

Schrum
Orrie has been great to help as well as others. It gets confusing because you said it needs bearings now you say it may or it could be something else. I am not sure what the mechanics did for you but running some "tests" really wont indicate the bearings need replaced. Like mentioned above it will need to come apart and look at the bearings, then the parts associated to the bearings to determine if they were hurt and need attention also.
to bounce from a total expensive engine rebuild to maybe just grease on the distributor is a big difference. I agree it may need a rebuild but that should not make it run like you say it is. Now bent or mis-adjusted valves will. I am not familiar with that motor but alot of the basics apply.
It was asked if it runs better? Did the guy looking at it come up with any tuning issues and make any changes? I assume you changed the fuel filter I think that was mentioned. If the distributor has been out did it get put back in the correct order? That will make things pop if it is off.
I know you are doing your best and looking for help I had hoped the mechanic would have done something for you, it sounds like it was a wasted trip? Let us know what all you guys did to come to the conclusions you have.
Just trying to help
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote