View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #16
VWNate1

Post Re: 1 barrel rochester carb 1967 problem

First things first ~

ascertain there's NO vacuum signal at idle then fiddle with the carby ~ as mentioned dirty spark plugs cause all manner of poor idle and off idle stumble issues , did you open their gaps to at LEAST .060" ? .

Failure to do things in the proper order guarantees you'll be chasing your tail .

-Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
I've got a '71 with a 250/4 speed (granny low) that has an HEI dizzy. I have issues with a stumble off idle and when under a load at cruising speeds 55-60 mph (climbing a hill). I have been fooling around with the timing and the air/fuel mixture and it is a little better and a little worse. the stumble is less severe but now the idle is so high I can't adjust it any lower. I set the timing on 4° at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected and I ran the mixture screw all the way in then 2.5 turns out. Then I turned the mixture screw out until I reached max vacuum. At this point the idle rpm is about 1200-1500 and the idle adjustment screw won’t reduce the rpm anymore. I’m lost with this configuration; I’m thinking I need to get back to a baseline but how? Anyone have advice?
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote