View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 01:23 AM   #13
1969_CM2590D

Re: How to delete the external voltage regulator?

I'm the contrarian here. I was going to convert to internally regulated, but changed my mind.

I took my standard 37 amp to a fellow near Louisville who rebuilds old auto electrics for restorers to get a price. For $100, my old alternator has double the juice (75 amps) thanks to the new stator he put in, as well as all new guts and a nice refinishing. I know 75 would be thin for a lot of trucks with plenty of gizmology in them, but mine- in addition to having manual everything- lacks not just a radio, but a lighter as well. All I plan on adding are a couple of power ports for the phone and a Bluetooth stereo speaker (with Google Music, I'll never buy another CD!). Therefore I should have plenty of juice.

So I asked him about a new voltage regulator. I was told to get the top of the line from NAPA, not the cheap or middle range ones. If you go cheap he said, the alternator may burn up when it fails. Makes me wonder if this isn't a problem when a VR is replaced.

There was one more thing he said before I left, "You know you can get a cheaper one from NAPA, or convert, as oppsed to restoring- but you won't get that part number on it...."

1969 GMC C2500 305E V-6 The Mule
1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
1969_CM2590D is offline   Reply With Quote