Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 AM   #267
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

I know i mentioned somewhere that i have been side tracked again so I'll say why now, i had a 67 C10 kinda fall into my lap about 3 weeks ago, its a beater and quite rusty but the price was right and still a driver so i bought it and drove it home. Brakes are a little sketchy at the moment, fun drive home Every body panel is dented up and rusty. But its an all numbers matching survivor, with bare bones options like one driver sun visor and arm rest.

So i started to comb Craigslist and this forum for some parts, I found an 8' original 67 fleetside bed up north last Thursday night so Friday i made the trek up north to get it, A little more damage than the seller would be willing to admit but isn't that how it always is? Not in pristine but in good shape compared to the old one, my plan was to drive it for a while as an 8' then later cut the frame down and the fleetside bed too, so I brought it home.

Saturday i finished the filler tube on the Rat, i admit it its kinda ugly! but i think i got all the weeping pinholes sealed, pita! i also bought some tune up stuff for the 67 and worked on it a bit, but i think i may have a dead lifter, i need to buy a leak down tester, will pull a compression test later.

Saturday night somewhere on Facebook someone posted an add on Craigslist in Portland.. a 68 step side bed! so i called him first thing in the morning and said I'd buy it for his price as long as he didn't sell it while i was driving the 2Hr 45 minutes trip to get there, plus i needed an hour to get the other bed unloaded before i could leave, and i hauled butt.. I'm real happy with it, has all the cross sills and bed strips, fenders need a little work and the markers will need to be filled but otherwise its in pretty good shape. I will keep an eye out for 67 rear step side fenders too just in case, i'd rather not fill these if i can help it.

Then talking to him i find out he also has a couple 67 front fenders, not perfect but way better than whats on the truck! so i cut a deal for the fenders and another front drive shaft for the Rat while i was at it.

I think the only thing I'll need now may be a couple repair panels off a donor cab Or maybe even a donor cab?? LOL! I already have a line on one, In Oregon again! also need some repair panels for the doors. then I'll have almost everything i need body wise for the C10, more mechanical stuff will also be in the mix, i plan on building the inline 6 and hopping it up a bit, kinda into the nostalgia of it, plus i want to try and maintain decent mileage along the way. So now i will do some shuffling of beds and then get back to working on my rat again.

Busy weekend! Need to get back to working on the rat!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote