View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #470
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
Day two in the books. ...snip... Also probly gonna go ahead and repaint dash while i have everything out. Anybody know a good rattle can to use? Most likely gonna go with semi-gloss black but not dead set on it.
Mike_The_Grad,

I'm a rattle-can cheerleader. But not for the dash, or any other place that the paint gets elbows, keys, dog lips or paws, greasy fingers from anybody, etc.

It seems that dashboards and doors need a good hardening paint to look decent for any amount of time. Rattle can jobs can and do look great. But, in my vehicles,
have never lasted very long.

Of course, the best way to paint inside the cab is with a gun and paint and with the same paint you do the whole interior color...Most of the time, for the interior
sheet metal, that's the same color as the outside.

But, everybody's truck is (thankfully) different. My set up was that I didn't yet have the paint gun, and I was using the same color and paint under the hood and
inside the cab. Not saying my job was equal to some of the ones a lot of these guys have done...Or have had done.

But, after I sanded and primed it, I got a gallon of Kirker Ultraglow acrylic urethane one stage paint (not the best paint...but the price was right...and it wasn't REALLY BAD paint),
waited for the right combo of temp and humidity, and then mixed up a big enough batch to do the whole inside.
Then, I used one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/lapukjv

I bought six or more of 'em so I wouldn't be hung out to dry mid-paint. I did mine *before* I had the dash pad on and steering wheel in, and glove box on, etc.
And before I'd wired it up.

I did the fire wall with the Prevals, but I did the inside of the doors and the rest of the engine bay and inside of the fenders with a gun while they were off.

I tried to find a closer pic, but couldn't. Here's what it looked like at about the stage you are now (but after the paint):
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 04-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.