View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #1374
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

The column and u-joint arrived about 2 pm. Rather than jumping into a test fit, I started sorting out the wiring connector. Fortunately I remembered I recently bought a rebuild kit for the turn signal, and it had all this stuff left over:

The white connector on the right end is a stock GM model F connector, which is 4.25” long. Newer columns (and all new columns from Ididit) use a model P connector, which is 3 7/8” long. Not knowing which is in the vehicle being repaired, the turn signal repair kit included this adapter which allowed connecting the model F turn signal wiring to the model P connector, should that be what’s in the car:

The left end is male model P, the right end is female model F. This is what it looks like plugged in to the turn signal harness:

Unfortunately I have what I believe used to be referred to as a model B connector. It’s a rectangle with 2 rows of four terminals:

This is what came with my steering column back in 1992 and I saw no reason to change it when I recently rewired the truck. Luckily both the new and previous Ron Francis wiring kits came with a female model P connector to create compatibility with newer columns:

I used the older one (on the left) as it had the letter designations molded in the housing that match up with the male counterpart. I pulled 8 of the terminated wires out of the jumper housing that came with the turn signal kit. I don’t know what this style of terminal is called, and I have no replacements. So I jumped them to the turn signal harness and terminated the other end in my old model B plug:

Since there is only a limited amount of wire poking out of the column, I now have more than enough to hook up to my main wiring harness behind the speedometer. Also, by leaving the model P connector in the circuit, I can easily remove the column in the future without have to remove the cluster to disconnect it.

Next step was drilling the lower end of the DD shaft to attach the U-joint. Per instructions a 3/8 inch hole was drilled for a long set screw to tighten against the inside of the tube:

The end of the column was placed over a waste basket, and Red Loctite was liberally poured over the screw, and subsequently over the nut as well. The polished joint was torqued in place:

Finally the turn signal lever and 4 way flasher knob were attached. What looks like nicks or scratches on the chrome is actually flecks of Styrofoam packing material:

And here is where the project sits as of this evening: