View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #502
Mike_The_Grad

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

This experiment began as a thought about a week ago. My headers were so pitted and rusted from neglect, i was faced with a decision. Should I try my hand at restoration or submit to something I've been wanting for a while, a.k.a. buying new ceramic coated headers. So I decided to try cheapest first. Bought a can of plasti-kote hi-temp header paint. Directions on the can state: paint must be cured or finish could rub off. The can offers two ways of "curing": run the parts on the machinery for a number of minutes, for several cycles. Or cure in a non-household oven for a set time period at hi-temps. My local fast shop said they paint parts and then put them in the parking lot on a hot day for a few hours. My approach...how bout a homemade solar oven? I've seen on YouTube some ovens reaching +300°F . I figure if I can get somewhere around there I will just leave them in all day. Heck,better than not doing it at all right? This was as far as I got day one. Just using what was lying around the house,except Alum. Foil. Got that for $5 at the local discount store. Found out I needed to do more research...lol. oven has to be fully insulated. Today was far better faring.but lack the photos to back it. Tomorrow for sure. Got it all made for under $25. Picked up some naval jelly to remove rust.After going at them with wire wheels,#80 grit Emory, dremel, you name it, i was expecting better results. It probably would have been satisfactory, if the rust wasn't so set in. gonna take them to my bros workplace tomorrow and media blast them.

Will definatly post pics of my attempt at curing them in my homemade solar oven. Remember this is only an experiment... all with things that could easily be had from around my house, all for under $50. So if it works, awesome...if not, then I know where my next purchase lies.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad