View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
Hart_Rod

Re: Anyone using Doug Thorley 323Y-C headers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
I did some more looking and I just ordered the 323yc for several reasons. Hookers are way more money. Hedmans can be had for a decent sum but they require either special or 73-87 motor mounts and I just bought my ebay adapter plates and new 69 style mounts. The Thorley headers seem to have a thicker flange than most at 3/8 inch. They also have a thicker pipe than most at 14 gauge. You can use the stock dipstick tube with these.

I decided that my desire for all out flow with 1 7/8 primaries outweighed having full length with 1 5/8. Do some research and you'll see that many many LS headers don't even offer 1 5/8 as an option. These engines like the big pipes.

I had planned on using my 6 cylinder brackets and moving the engine WAY back. You can do that with the 324yc but the bends are different with the larger headers. Doesn't look like these will clear so I will use my V8 brackets instead. Will try the rear holes first and see what happens. I still think the point of interference will be the passenger side firewall. That's OK. I wanted the engine back but I may also have clearance issues with the engine and coil covers that I ordered from BH custom designs so it may have to stay a little forward. I can also redrill the adapter plates and move the mounts a bit. Should be interesting but the covers won't be here till next week and JEGS says the headers won't ship until 4-21-14 so it will will be a while before I know what hits and what fits.
I'm using 323Ys on my LS3 with a 1900 Maggie. I've got the engine as far back as it will go with CPP engine stands and Dirty Dingo slider mounts. No problems with clearance.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote