View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #22
68c10owner

Re: Another 489bbc question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super73 View Post
The are more thing than cam that dictate stall speed than just a cam. Intake runner length, rod ratio, header tube length and diameter and more plays a role in to peak tq rpm. Valve events definately have a heavy hand in it but at the end of the day peak tq rpm really dictates where optimal stall speed is.
??? The cam is the brain of the engine. How can you say that? Without the cam you dont know what intake runner length you need or header tube size and length. Power band dictates what stall you need and the camshaft is a major player in determining the power band. I should have been more clear on my description but I wasnt wrong.

You have to match the engine. You need to know what RPM you want to turn the engine. Then figure out what heads its going to take to feed the engine with the RPM in mind and what HP your shooting for. Once you know what heads and what RPM only thing left is picking the camshaft. Rod ratio has very little effect on peak power. Then ideally you will dyno the engine to know where the peak power is and pick you converter accordingly.