Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #291
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

So while i was resting up my feeble knee, my wandering fingers were doing damage on the parts for sale threads.. I have no pictures yet but i found a rear bumper for the rat, paid more for shipping than the bumper but i cant find a bumper like that around here.

I also did some planning and parts shopping for the Rusty project, still need a better name for that one LOL! Working on getting an original inline 250 power steering setup, should have it on the way around Tuesday. Found a really nice set of aluminum slot mags that are in route. Found a good used front bumper and an automatic cross member, both in route. a host of items from Teeitup, heater control, sway bar, (rear bumper for the rat) and a few other items. Found a set of disk conversion spindles locally, still need to get them.

And lastly, I already knew that the cab on the red rusty truck was in super bad shape, i pretty much new when i bought it that the only good parts on it were the frame and drive train and maybe a little more.. On the cab i basically had a good rear back window and rear cab sheet metal, and the inner panels, that's about it.. enter the parts forum again, I found a guy parting a 67 camper conversion and made a deal for the cab, Its an AC cab, with ac dash and heater controls, it still has the AC box and hoses ect. it has a rust free drip rail and window frame, it does need a little rust repair on the floor and inner kick panel but the rockers and cab corners look to be solid, i figure i'll probably have to remove the outer rockers anyway to search and destroy any hidden rust.. Of course being a camper conversion it had a portion of the rear of the cab cut out, leaving about 5" of the small window frame on each side, so i figured for the $200 it was worth the risk of trying to section out the remaining good metal from the red cab and welding it into the other cab, i figure the worst that could happen is i'm out the $200 for the cab if it doesn't work. And an unexpected bonus is for another $45 i also got the hood, both fenders and a bunch of little parts to go along with it.

Oh, the kicker was this cab was in Eastern Oregon, but i figured life is suppose to be an adventure and i like doing stuff on weekends like bike trips anyway, so 7.5 hours there, loaded up, and loaded up some parts from the same part out to bring back to Wes at Classic Heartbeat in Olympia, we rested and chatted a little, then once loaded i headed to Bend Or. for the night. I made the remaining trek home today and still had enough time to take the wife to the Spring Fair downtown, long weekend.

There was a small car show in one of the buildings at the fair, here's a couple of my fav's.

Next week i really need to get things cleaned up and organized as my front yard and driveway is beginning to look like a wrecking yard...
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote