View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: where to start...6.0 swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
I dont really know where to start. Looking for answers, guidance, insight, etc.

Ive had LS engines before..ive done the head and cam swaps..my buddy has hptuners...so im familiar with the LS world.

Basically im not happy (im never happy) with my trucks "performance". Sure, it runs great, the timing and carb are.dialed in, but i find myself wanting more.

Its a rebuilt by me 350, with flat top pistons, vortec heads and a larger than stock cam. Pretty good compression, good power, decent mileage with the OD. I get about 14-15 best, 12 normally.

The trans is a 98 model freshly rebuilt 4L80e. Im controlling it with the TCI EZ-TCU. Also using a tps kit, and a kit that converts the elec speedo output to mechanical for my cluster. Crossmember was moved back, driveshaft shortened, shift linkage was modified, etc. Does great.

What i know: ill need new motor mounts. Ill need headers for the LS.

Questions.

1. What years 6.0 am i looking for? Im not worried about LQ9's, a 4 is fine.

2. How.much should i expect to pay for just the 6.0?

3. What all do i need to run it, im assuming my tci controller will be obsolete? Wouldnt you want the ecm and harness to control both engine and trans together?

4. Do folks make harnesses premade for these conversions? How much?

5. What else? Obviously im planning on a cam swap, whatever my friend suggests. And he'll do the tuning.

Basically what im wanting, is to be able to hang with the newer trucks, as far as acceleration and towing power. Oh yeah, its an 85 c20!! Thanks!!
OK I'll add my 2 cents worth.
As far as the 2 6.0 differances are, go with the cheaper LQ4 in the 2500 series HD trucks. For the money differances you can get the same horse power cheaper buy doing it your self. With cam and such. I pay $2200.00 for my LQ4 6.0 with computer and harness already done.
Ls1 wiring will do the harness and computer for you and make sure you buy a complete unit as in motor&trans with the wiring harness if at all possible.
Using your old 4l80e maybe tempting but I would buy it as one unit for the sake of not having to buy adapters and such for the older trans to newer motor. Fuel is the biggest thing to do if you plan to use the stoock truck tank. 50lbs + of pressure behind your seat is going to be loud in the cab when it's running. So you will need to decide which pump and tank to use if you stay with the stock tank. Good luck and post plenty of pictures when you start..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=597993

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote