View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
bovey

Re: Targa Truck '71 GMC build - The first truck in Targa Newfoundland

Sorry for radio silence. The brakes did not go as smoothly as planned and I was a volunteer driving instructor at a performance driving school. Fun week-end, sadly no truck...

The brakes are on and done. Doing this conversion is no different than any other brake job. It's easy.

The Wilwood part numbers you need are (71-72):

Name:  _MG_5757_upgrade_parts_sml.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  103.2 KB

1 - Brake line kit (as long as you need 22" lines) 220-11719
2 - factory rotors
3 - Bolt Kit 230-0619 (pkg of 4)
4 - Front brake pads: 150-9421K
5 - Calipers 120-10936-BK - Qty 2

As mentioned I ran into a few issues:

1) My outer bearing were toast after last years racing.

2) My front fittings were tight and i ended up deforming one. More on that in a moment.

3) the Wilwood frame union is not made for a thick truck frame, I had to grind the frame a bit for them to fit. I'd reco getting a -3AN/7/16th screw in union to avoid this.

Time evaporated, and it took hours longer than expected to get the old stuff apart - this truck always comes apart easy. But then I recalled that my dad and I did these brakes 24 years ago...

To save time, I picked up a new set of rotors and bearings, they were cheap and I needed to get time back on my side.

Around 11:30 Saturday night I went for a Midnight test run. Very fun. Everything seems to be working great. Then I checked for leaks. One fitting. ONE. Was leaking. I worked on it for a couple hours before doing something I hate - admitting defeat. Annoyed, I went to bed as I needed to be up in 4 hours to return to my duties as an instructor. Even a small leak is not safe when your are tossing something around this big and this fast.

Name:  leak_ugh_brakes_sml.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  88.3 KB

There is an upside. When others heard of my misfortune they let me drive their cars. A '79 TA and a special edition 03" Miata. FUN. Waayyyy different from a longbed GM truck. No surprise.

At the moment, the truck is having it's engine primped for the week-end. It needed some regular maintenance like new valve springs, retainers, etc. It's just something you have to do with heavy duty street engine. Dropping a valve due to a fatigued spring is an expensive lesson I hope to avoid.

Otherwise, the brakes are sorted. New custom valved Ride Tech shocks are arriving tomorrow and it goes in for a 'cage next week. I choose a race seat.

Name:  seat_momo_compy_safe_sml.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  95.2 KB

These are Momo Daytona Evos, they were made for me (feel great). However, I do plan on getting more streetable that I can swap out. I may put this on the passenger side and get a less racey version so I can swap them from side-to-side for track and autoXing.
Action Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3i7lPP5EA
bovey is offline   Reply With Quote