View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Quote:
So my plan is to take as much from the 2001 I can. I plan to swap over the entire wiring harness, using the wiring harness and fuse panel to run my headlights, door locks, power windows, brake lights, the works. I even plan to swap in the 2001 cluster into the 1987 as well. I am also planning on swapping the rearend, and swapping my d.s. gas tank w/ the 26 gal from the 2001 and getting rid of my p.s. tank and the selector valve. Also I am hoping to be able to integrate the steering column/wheel from the 2001 as well.

Any advice or insight? Has anyone seen some of this done?

That sounds to me, like the entierly way wrong and complicated route to take in comparison to how simple it can be. It can be done for no more work than a simple engine swap. I couldnt imagine doing all the work your talking about... As far as the fuel tanks, if you are dead set on getting rid of the duals, just mount a 87-91 blazer/suburban tank in the back. Super simple and allows you to use a drop in fuel pump that will work perfect for your swap. I have also seen the pics of the guy who swapped in all the late model stuff that you posted and read his write up. Sounds like, again, way too overly complicated. Unless you just have to have it, are very patient, and quite smart, i would bag that idea.

Which motor mounts should I buy? Anyone have drawings so I can make my own?

Just get the CarShopInc 1" set back mounts. They put the motor in the original location in relation to the trans bellhousing and allows you to use your original motor mounts/shells. They are only i think $60. They were $50 when i bought them a couple years ago.

I plan to get the auxiliary battery mount from somewhere to move battery to d.s.

You can get those on LMCtruck and i think Rockauto sells them too.

Anyways, here is my truck!
My advice is just to keep it as simple as possible. Projects that end up overly complicated often die unhappy deaths. Ones that are completed shortly, are almost always happy.