Thread: 47 Step van
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #158
xpickup

Re: 47 Step van

Now what I am currently working on is the front edge by the door on the body. It was bad and Ken cut out the bad because it was rotting. It was one of those difficult profiles to bend/ make. So I figured out how to make it and that was with aluminum box and 1/4 x 1" bar. It worked out really well. I made them for both sides because they were both bad down low. The upper pieces are 55" long and the lowers are 28" long. I will cut the angles where they will come together on my miter saw. I first cut them to length on the miter saw. They consist of 3 pieces to get the profile. One piece of box tube, a piece of c channel and a piece of bar. The c channel was made out of box tube. I cut it on my router table. I used wd40 as the lube and it cut great just one hell of a mess from the chips flying! Then I also used the router table with a 45 degree bit to cut the chamfers for the weld prep. Way better then grinding it on. The TIG welded the pieces all together. I welded the shorter ones first and ground them up and it worked out great. I am now working on the longer ones. It is a boat load of TIG welding but that was my easiest way. They will them be drive riveted on like the rest of the body.

Shannon
Attached Images

xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote