View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
gag1025

Re: Starting a new build...

I have seen S10 frames used but the ones I have seen I did not like. I waned to keep the original frame because I wanted as much of the truck original as I could. But at the same time I wanted the ride, steering and braking to be like a new vehicle as well as the power of a 350 engine. The outside is as it was in 1953 (minus the side vents and cowl vent). Originality and comfort was my moto. I agree in that the entire frame conversion is a great way to go if you can afford it. It is, however, much more costly than the route I took. DEven with using the Mustang II front, and the Camaro differential, etc. my cost was half of what an entire frame would have cost. Another option is to use a Camaro front clip. There are a lot of great articles on how to do this. In the end it all depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. Another much cheaper and easier solution is to buy a Rack & Pinion steering system that will mount to your straight axle. I think either Brothers or CPP sells this along with all the parts needed to give your vehicle power disc brakes.