View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
DGulliver

Re: Just looked at a 72 and thought it was priced high - are my expectations off?

I can't understand the connection to where Barrett-Jackson is responsible for the collector truck market, or somehow is to blame?

I've been in this hobby since the 1970's, my dad was very active in the Buick club of America as well as local/regional clubs and shows while I was growing up. I've been buying, driving, enjoying and selling old cars and trucks since before I had a driver's license. I've seen markets rise and fall and rise again for all types of vehicles over the years. These trucks, for the first time are hot right now. Nobody paid them any attention much until the last 5 years, and it's really ramped up since then. It will eventually settle to where the big money is in high option big block short beds restored to factory, or restomods/pro tourers that are extremely well executed. This same scenario happened with '65/66 Mustangs in the 80's, where prices went really stupid high for awhile. But today I can buy a decent driver quality V8 Mustang coupe for $6k again. It's all part of a cycle, and it's constantly evolving and changing. One thing that remains strong across the board are factory original restorations, well preserved survivors, and documented rare or high optioned vehicles.

Y'all mad at me for buying $2500 trucks, doing some maintenance and cosmetics and selling it later for $4500? I'm earning money to feed my family and spend on my own trucks. Am I to blame too, for somehow inflating the market? Everything I've ever sold went to a happy buyer who was glad to get it. I've sold multiple vehicles to lots of guys, repeat buyers who like my vehicles, prices and honesty. I'm not "ripping anybody off" or dishonestly "cashing in" on unsuspecting folks, and neither are the auction companies.

Remember that every time the hammer falls at a Mecum or Barrett-Jackson sale, there's a guy standing there with his checkbook out who wants that car or truck at that price. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. They are in no way capable of inventing a false market for anything. The market now and always will be determined by whatever somebody is willing to pay for something-there is no "blame" for anything to be placed!

These reality TV shows and televised auctions have certainly created lots of new interest in the hobby, and more folks out there want old cars and trucks. I don't understand where somebody needs to be blamed for that?
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote