View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #42
davepl

Re: Just looked at a 72 and thought it was priced high - are my expectations off?

>Sounds a little high like you say. $5000 should buy you a very solid pickup that doesn't have tons of issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Certainly not lately.
How do you figure? My big-block, numbers-matching, AC, no-rust, one-owner (almost) '70 cost me $6500. So yeah, I wouldn't pay over $5K for anything that has rust, unless it's some hyper-rare unit.

Mind you I searched quite a while. And I ran across a lot of doobs trying to sell questionable stuff with Chinese chrome and Pep Boys steering wheels for $15K, but if you look at what stuff SELLS for as opposed to what people ask, it just takes patience.

If you need a truck this weekend, and there's only two in the area, then you're in a different situation.

At for the auction houses, I don't blame them, but here's the BIGGEST problem they have been party to. I'll use an Impala as an example instead of our trucks because it's easier. One day you see some '62 Convertible Impala SS with 409 tri-power and 10,000 original miles sell for $150K. Next week everyone with a rusted out four-door six-banger '62 Impala thinks theirs is worth big money now.

Same thing will happen to our trucks. Big-block short beds will continue to go wild. No idea what highly optioned longer trucks like mine will do, but the basic 350 landscaper truck will likely not appreciate in value much.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote