View Single Post
Old 06-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #34
clinebarger

Re: correct transmission for 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
The shift kit isn't a bad idea, but setting it up with a 34 element sprag is like a 5-700 upgrade, and one that isn't hardly justified on a stock engine. He'll have as much into that one part as the rest of the trans. Its not a BAD part, but wholly unneeded for what he's doing. Plenty of folks go north of 600 on the regular drum/clutches/sprag. If he wants to hit this thing with a 200 shot or something then sure.

From my experience (and occasionally from my own laziness)....most people don't want to take apart a working tranny.
You talking about a 36 element sprag & custom Direct drum, New GM Sprag style drum, 34 element Sprag, & Race can be had for < $250. If the Drum & Race are in good shape, The 34 element sprag is a direct replacement for the 16 element sprag.

A 16 element Sprag can handle more abuse than people admit, Still stronger than the 8 element Roller Clutch found in most TH400's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informi View Post
Maybe you guys have been talking to my son! He is convinced we need twin turbos and 700+ hp! Of course he is 14 and has only my money to spend.

My primary goal right now is to get it moving under its own power. If needed I will look at tranny ungrades in the future.
A '94 4L80E will work fine....IF it's in good shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevictories View Post
it's a sin to take apart a good working auto trans
11th one in fact but Moses (Ol' Moe' to us old timers) ran outta room.
Well I will definitely be going to hell

The ONLY way to know the true shape of an auto transmission is to tear it down.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote