View Single Post
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #220
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My Luxurious late model truck (not so much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Geez a five ton unit. My lord you live in a mansion. Just kidding. It's funny I've pulled out Heat Pumps that were twenty plus years old. I know when you wrote that check it hurt.

I like the look of the rims and tires you have chosen for your truck. They look good. I'm glad you went with chrome, although I'd liked the black as well. That rearend looks to be chocolate flavored fluid. I bet it smelled like a bed of roses too..... Shew..

So I have a question. When you put the gears back together will you have to set the backlash on it? Will you have to replace the shims and crush sleeve as well. I don't know the terminology all that well but I'm curious if this stuff will go back stock and not need any adjusting for wear patterns and such. Thanks.
Are you an AC guy ? I wondered if maybe having a 5 ton unit is because of the extreme summer temps we get here. Our house isn't really that big. It's just north of 2000 sq/ft.

On the gears, I will use a new crush sleeve along with the bearings. I asked a couple of Jedi mechanics I know from way back and they both said that since I'm replacing Timken brand bearings with new Timken bearings that it's pretty much a full guarantee that the pattern will be where it should be. I'll put it back together with the same shims under the pinion bearings as the stock bearings and check it when I get it put back together, but with a set of 200k mile gears, I'm not exactly doing it textbook perfect no matter what. As long as its reasonable I'll run with it.