View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #236
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My Luxurious late model truck (not so much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I do AC work and that seems really big for a 2000 sq/ft for me. Understand I'm in a different zone as well. Just to give you an idea my house is roughly 2200 sq/ft and we have a 3 ton unit. I can't say if it has to do with the heat down there or not. It does seem to reason. If it is too small of a unit it will run all the time. Then with a unit sized too big it will come on and shut off a lot. Which is hard on a unit. There are other factors as well. Is the attic, basement and walls insulated? How many windows and so on. If the unit before it worked fine, then there should be no problem. Looking at the chart http://www.acdirect.com/ac-package-u...ing-calculator I found on line it shows roughly 2400sq/ft for a five ton unit in zone 5, which you are in. There are several other factors, please understand each situation is different.
The theory is well above my expertise. I asked Valerie and she said we are 2300 sq/ft. She's lived here for 15 years so she knows the house best. The old unit was also a 5 ton. I can say for sure, there's not too much concern for it short cycling. It runs for a while when it does come on. The house is insulated walls and attic with brick construction. It does often exceed 100 degrees here for a week or more at a time and the old 5 ton unit would put in a full day's work keeping it cool.