View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #117
NastyBuzzard

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
This is just my $.02, so take it for what it is worth. Swapping all of that stuff over to the '87 is pretty ambitious. I personally like the original stuff better; it is what makes a square a square to me. I understand reusing the factory harness and all. That is one area of my swap I bit the bullet and bought a stand alone harness. plastic connectors that have been subject to 15 years of heat cycles are bound to be weak, and I didn't want to deal with the hassles. You can use the dual tanks you have, just upgrade the pumps and the switching valve, and you should be golden. IIRC, you already have the electric cluster. That will read the VSS output from the later model PCM- another problem solved. The 4L60E and 700R4 should be the same length, so use your transfer case as a starting point for the mounts and work your way forward.

This is just how I would do it- your mileage may vary.
So you are saying make the harness standalone and use the 87's wiring?

Thing is, the wiring from the 87 is from 1987. It needs to be replaced. My power windows are so slow even with new motors, my headlights and brake lights are so dim and they have new bulbs. It just not like a newer vehicle where everything is run off relays and receives the full voltage it needs. On the 87 the voltage drops so much before it gets to where it needs to be.

I was in the process of swapping it all to relays until I got the LS donor and I was like hey! 2 birds, one stone!

I love squarebody's but I am all about integrating the old with the new. I think this looks awesome!

I just am trying to make the truck as efficient and dependable as possible.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote