View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #119
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

This is the same stuff i have been saying from the get go. THere is probably every bit of 100 LS swaps on this site alone. I bet about 2 of them have been as ambitious as yours. And i bet it took them more than a couple years to complete them. Im not saying yours is the same, but we have LS swaps in everything from a 48 chevy pickup to a 90 suburban on this site. And most of them just did a stand alone engine/trans harness and got the truck up and running over a few months.

I dont know how much you have lurked around here, but how many half finished projects have you seen for sale because they lost motivation half way through? Do you think you have more motivation than they did when they started? Cause i bet you dont. Ambitious projects are always started with good intentions, but people leave out the detail work involved with building a fully custom truck. Its not a winter project. Its a couple year or more commitment with LONG stints of no reward/payoff and only the blood sweat and tears to break you down. Its TOUGH!

I guess what im saying is take a really good hard inside look and decide if you want to work on the truck for the next couple years with no payoff in between other than the fun of working on it, or do you want to drive it before the summer is over?

There is also nothing that says you have to do it all in one shot. You can fairly easily get the truck up and running and then fart around with the gauge/dash setup. Hell you could even get a whole junkyard dash setup and put it all together in your living room in the cold winter months and then come spring time, do the dash swap on the truck that you now have thousands of miles of enjoyment in. I say, just get it running and driving as quick and easy as possible, and then have several isolated projects after that. Its a way higher chance of success that way.