View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #120
NastyBuzzard

Re: 1987 GMC V1500 Sierra Classic LS swap/build

I have read the ayatollah thread as well as a bunch others, freds, silvers and so on.

My thing is I want to run the wiring setup from the 01. I want to do it so I can use the 01 cluster and so on.

Y5 I can't see how you project this to take years? The way I planned to do it was the simplest way possible.

Pull 87 wiring, install 01 wiring and splice in 87 headlight sockets, bed wiring, door wiring, et cetera.

Using the 01 wiring prevents me from having to initially send off the PCM to get modded which saves $100s of dollars as well as sending off the wiring harness to be converted to stand alone which is more $100s of dollars.

I just didn't want to go standalone b/c I want as many benifits from the newer setup as possible.

I don't know if you have ever seen where people switch everything to relay power on these truck but it improves power windows and headlights/tail lights.

I want the 01 cluster b/c it is more informative, more accurate and would look neat in there, same for the steering column.

Currently my only hurdle is the fuel setup and it is only a hurdle b/c mostly of the signal outputs for fuel gauge. I mean I could always mount a seperate fuel gauge that reads the old style 0-120ohms but I'd prefer it all to work like it should.

My motivation is high, mostly because I love working on this truck. Will I ever sell it? NO!! It has way too much sentimental value. Which is why it will get finished, this truck and me have been through hell together and at my brokest moments I have never considered selling it.

I have stopped all projects to work on getting this truck done like I want. I am just trying to gather all the parts necessary so when I decide it is time to yank the 350 tbi/700r4 setup, I will be ready.

That is where I need help, making sure I have the correct parts I need.

I don't want to spend time and money to do this one way to get it going just to have to go back and spend more time and money getting it like I want.

Also, if you check out Captain Americas build 68 shortbed/fleetside, he is doing something very similar and already has it driveable.

Also I have seen a few people swap 73-87 bodys onto the newer style frames and utilize the newer style wiring/fuel setup and it works excellent. Unfortunately for me none of them have done in depth build threads and most have just paid to get it done.
NastyBuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote