View Single Post
Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #87
siggyfreud

Re: Project "Second Chance" - Hot Rod 66' GMC

6/13/14 - Rear end work

Hey all,

Been awhile. Been busy with work unfortunately.

I took the 12-bolt to a Diff shop in Portland with good reviews (Paden). I asked them to remove the drums, and inspect the diff, along with installing new bearings and seals. They called me a few days later and said that it appeared the ring and pinion was worn, as they weren't able to get the backlash (I think) set right. In any case, they said they had a lightly used set of the same ratio for $100, so I said go for it.

Got the diff back, and started cleaning off the grease. I had sandblasted right before dropping it off at the shop, mainly because I didn't want to unload it, paint it, and then reload it to take it in. I don't have a truck, so each run means I have to run to my dad's and borrow his.

De-greased:

Drying out:

Primed and painted:

Then I got to installed Captain Fab's D52 brackets. I had to check his thread to ensure I was putting them on correctly, but it was simple enough.

I didn't paint the diff cover, as I'm going to order an aluminum Moser cover from summit that provides the additional cap bolts to strengthen the rear more.

Next step is to get it under the truck with springs, set the angle, tack in the new perches, pull it out, and weld it up. From what I've read, the best approach is to weld as you would a body panel . . . little spots at a time, so as not the warp the tubing.

Then I'll also weld in the new shock mounts, get everything in, and then it will be time for wheels and tires!

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote